Saturday, March 03, 2007

Projectors

First Projected Voice: Where are we?

Second Projected Voice: Wherever you want, you git. – We made it. – A week back, don’t you remember? It was dark outside. The seconds were ticking by. I said to you, I said:

Well, mate, you ready for some light? – You said: Don’t we need electricity for that. Give off, I said. We can make it ourselves. You said: don’t be stupid. You can’t get any light in here without a few batteries. I said: crank it up, mate. You’re the practical one.

First Projected Voice: It’s coming back to me.

Second Projected Voice: What took you so long?

First Projected Voice: It’s true. I forget sometimes.

Pause.

Second Projected Voice: Well then…

First Projected Voice: Well what?

Second Projected Voice: Got any ideas? – Sunshine, you still asleep.

First Projected Voice: Was having this nice, nice dream.

Second Projected Voice: -

First Projected Voice: I saw the sea…The sea everywhere.

Second Projected Voice: Sounds fascinating.

First Projected Voice: Wait a minute. I saw something else.

Second Projected Voice: Oh, prey what was that? A man from Mars, a dog in a manger – a crib sheet being read by an old crow – a hot air balloon swept along in the currents of primal wind. -

First Projected Voice: I saw a sheep on the horizon.

Second Projected Voice: A sheep. Can we all go back to sleep?

First Projected Voice: It was just a ship. You know. Couldn’t make it out very well.

Second Projected Voice: Oh, come on! You can do better than that. – Embellish.

First Projected Voice: Okay then. – (He starts to describe the ship) – Well, she had a white sail. Three sails, in fact. – She was one of them old ships with a forecourt. People said stern and daft.

Second Projected Voice: Aft?

First Projected Voice: I said daft, eejit.

Second Projected Voice: What happen’d then?

First Projected Voice: There was a storm. – A big one. Thunder, lightning. – A shot across its bows. The mast came down. The ship spun round and round. – Like they were in a whirlpool. They were tossed up, thrown down

Second Projected Voice: Were there any survivors?

First Projected Voice: Dragging their feet, gasping - sucking in air. –

Second Projected Voice: As if born again. –

First Projected Voice: Yes, as if coming into the world for the first time. –

Second Projected Voice: I like it. - A miracle! – A bathtub idea! You and Archimedes!

First Projected Voice: Why, don’t you believe it?

Pause.

Second Projected Voice: I said I like it.

First Projected Voice: You don’t believe it.

Second Projected Voice: Don’t get me wrong. It’s not that. Just I don’t know what we can do with it.

First Projected Voice: You’re crap.

Second Projected Voice: Okay, okay. – I admit. – I have my cynical streak. – I can’t get my head around it. – Anyway, special effects were never exactly my forte.

First Projected Voice: Well at least you can give us the speech. - The one about those shipwrecked baboons?

Second Projected Voice: There isn’t any time for that. It’s the endgame, Kuli Yuga.

First Projected Voice: It is?

Second Projected Voice: Yes. The light’s going out over Europe. Only one village holds out.

First Projected Voice: I knew it, the airports are closed again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home